Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Launchpad🚀 - Meet Y.J.

We wanted to give you a chance to get to know the participants in our Launchpad program.  We interviewed each participant so that they could share their stories, their hopes and how this program is helping to shape their future.

YJ holds a special place in our hearts, both because we have known him since he was a tiny infant, but also because it was his plea for help that inspired us to begin our Launchpad program.  YJ's orphanage asked us if we could help him when he was a tiny baby, and he then spent many years in one of our group foster homes.  He's now a thoughtful young man who loves Japanese language and culture.  YJ has been studying Japanese very diligently and is working his way up through the national language skills exam system.

-------------------------------------------------


Could you please introduce yourself?

My name is DYJ, and I am 19 years old. I enjoy Japanese language, Japanese dramas, and music. 

What does a typical day look like for you?

Every day, I come independently by bus to the social work center, do chores, participate in activities, and study Japanese. 


What do you enjoy most about being part of this program?

My favorite parts of the day are the trips between home and the social work center. I enjoy the view on the bus. When I leave home for the center, I embrace a new day. When I leave for home, I feel relieved because “Finally the day is finished and I can go home now!” See, I enjoy staying at home and at the center, but it wouldn’t be good if I stay in one place for too long, hahaha! 

What kind of professional skills are you learning or improving right now?

I am studying Japanese. I have passed the N3 test, and the next big challenge is I will go straight at N1. It is very difficult, with long articles for reading comprehension, like academic writing, and novels in Japanese. 


What motivates you to keep learning or working?

It definitely is Japanese. At the beginning, I felt Japanese sounded gentle and soothing. After I started studying Japanese, it became my goal to make a living with the language, you know, make money and live independently. 

What are your personal goals for the next one or two years?

It is to take the N1 level Japanese language test.  I'm working so hard to prepare for this! 


What has been the most valuable thing you’ve learned so far — about the work, living independently, or about yourself?

Learning to cook, going to doctor’s appointments by myself, My first train ride alone. Also I have learned a lot about interacting with others, what I need to pay attention to. If something happens, I need to avoid extreme and catastrophic thinking. I need to use my reasons and evaluate. 



Where do you imagine yourself five years from now? What kind of person or professional would you like to become?

I hope that by that time, I have passed N1 and become a Japanese teacher, or preferably a translator, or receptionist in a Japanese business, or whatever. I hope I can live in Beijing, rent my own apartment, and earns enough money to take care of my own life. I want to build a career before finding a partner for life.  Having a girl friend costs money. However, I do want to have a girlfriend who would eventually marry me. 

If you could describe this journey in one word or short phrase, what would it be — and why?

Keep growing, keep making progress. 



No comments:

Post a Comment